Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Competency 6.2: Citation Pearl Growing Search, LibLit

For the citation pearl growing search, I started with the article "Web, Library, and Teen Services 2.0" by Kimberly Bolan, Meg Canada, and Rob Cullin in Young Adult Library Services v. 5 no. 2. LibraryLit gave the following subjects for this article:

Web 2.0
Young adults' library services
Internet/Public libraries
Microcomputers/Children's use
Social networks.

I did a new search using "young adults' library services" and "internet/public libraries" and retrieved 289 records, which was way too much - it included every article about every youth librarian who had ever made a web site. I noticed that one of the articles had "electronic games" in their subejcts, so I added that to see what I would find.



That search returned all of two results, both of which looked really interesting:

Mulligan, C, et al. From Playing to Creating. School Library Journal vol. 53, no. 10 (October 2007) p. 36-7

and

Makens, K. Gaming in Libraries 2.0. Young Adult Library Services vol. 5, no. 4 (Summer 2007) p. 27.



I found this search technique to be very useful because I often know there must be articles out there on my subject but can't find them across various databases that have different search terms. I never would have thought of "microcomputers/children's use," for instance, if it weren't for seeing it in the citation of my known item. I'll definitely be using this technique again!

No comments: